Happy Wednesday - a bit late on weekly deals as I missed my normal Monday shopping - kids were off of school so it threw my whole week off!!! I hope you all had a lovely weekend and Easter if you celebrate - hopefully enjoyed some yummy food too!!!
Quick note - Fred Meyer will no longer be sending a print ad to homes! Their ads will strictly be online and through the app. You can grab a print copy at the store but beginning May 28th no more print - just wanted to give you a heads up in case you rely on those coming to your inbox.
If you'd like to see me add anything else to this round-up, send me a message! Cheers till next week - stay tuned for the Friday weekly recipe!
These deals were spotted at the Happy Valley location* and could vary by location. Light week at Winco - a few updates to some favorite items!
- Cosmic Crisp Apples - $0.98/lb
- Cosmic Crisp apples are delicious and this is a good price for them. Love having a few for snacks and school lunches. Even though it's not fall apple season, still a great snack - you can also try this apple cake!!
- Avocados - $0.78 each
- Prices are steadily going up on the avocados! Still a great price but almost double from a few weeks ago at $0.48!
- Pineapple - $1.47
- Pineapple is hot right now, got some last week from Fred Meyer and they were quite juicy.
- English Cucumbers - $0.88 each
- We go through cucumbers like CRAZY around here and I think the English and Persian are the BEST! I like the English since they are large, no seeds and stay quite fresh in their wrapping. I usually pay around $1.50 for one so $0.88/each is a steal!
- Red + Orange + Yellow Peppers - $0.98 each
- Red peppers are up in price but the yellow and orange dropped which is great! We love peppers and great for cooking too!
- Gray or Mexican Squash - $0.78/lb
- This is my preferred type of squash, mainly for making kousa which is a Lebanese stuffed squash that is SO GOOD! I will find these at the Lebanese store but lately they have been better priced here at Winco.
- Chicken Thighs/Drumsticks - $0.98/lb
- I adore roasted chicken thighs, find the recipe here. Such an easy and inexpensive weeknight meal and the chicken meat can be used in so many ways throughout the week as well.
- Winco Brand Butter - $3.38/lb
- Finally went up in price from $2.98
- Umpqua Ice Cream - $3.98 48oz
- A great local brand of ice cream that is quite delicious! Getting to be ice cream season!
- Dark Chocolate (and white) Melting Wafers - $0.98/lb (bulk) - still on sale
- I used to make cake pops and these melting wafers were the BEST! The ones at Winco are actually Guittard Chocolate which is delish - for some reason the dark and white melting wafers were $0.98/lb today!! Usually they are closer to $4/lb! So definitely a good deal. These are also awesome in cookies, chopped up and use whenever you need dark chocolate. If you won't use them all immediately, freeze them for the best texture later - especially for cake pops.
- Walnuts (chopped and halves and pieces) - $2.98/lb (bulk) - still on sale
Be sure to download the Safeway app to load the deals and special Just for U coupons - prices reflected below require the digital coupons.
- Boneless Beef Whole Untrimmed Tri-Tip Roast (limit 2) - $4.97/lb
- Fresh Pork Shoulder Roast (limit 2) - $1.97/lb
- Shoulder Roast is a versatile meat that is so delicious for pulled pork - season well, sear and cook in Instant Pot for 90 minutes! Fall off the bone, shredded pork!
- Red or Green Grapes - $1.47/lb NO LIMIT
- YESSSSSS, finally grapes on sale without a limit!!!! My kids will be THRILLED!
- Lucerne Cheeses 6-8oz - $0.97 each (first 4 with coupon)
- Sliced or shredded bags of cheese - not a bad price and great shelf life. Good to stash in the fridge.
- Tim's Chips - (limit 4) $0.97
- Tim's Chips are delicious - not sure if they're better than Kettle but close for sure I'll grab 4 for sure, especially with shrinkflation, it'll basically be 2!
Digital coupons apply to many of these deals as well - be sure to download via the app and link your rewards card. 4x fuel points on Friday purchases.
- Fresh Columbia River Steelhead Fillets - $8.99/lb
- If you haven't had Steelhead, it's quite delicious and harvested locally in the PNW. It looks like salmon but has a slightly different flavor and taste. Give it a try, especially with it fresh and in season right now!
- Strawberries - $3.99/2 pounds
- Strawberries have been quite sweet lately - these come in at $2/lb which is quite good. Pro tip - store them with layers of paper towels and in a sealed container for optimum freshness.
- Boneless Chicken Breast (up to 5x in one transaction with coupon) $1.99/lb
- This deal allows you to purchase 5 packages at the $1.99/lb price which is a good deal and would allow for some freezing for sure! Try this shish tawouk recipe if you pick some up!
- Peppers + Mangos & More - $0.99 each (must purchase 5 - mix and match with other qualifying items)
- This is a mix and match sale, my big one on this would be the peppers but you can also get traditional mango, Annie's Mac & Cheese, some various dressings, BBQ sauce, soups and a few other items in this deal. Mix and match 5 items to get the $0.99 price!
- CHOCOLATE - 50% off
- Various chocolate is on sale for 50% off - New Seasons stocks really good stuff including their own brand, Tony's, Moonstruck.
- Heirloom Navel Oranges - $0.99/lb
- If you're still on a citrus kick, this is a great price!
- Portland Roaster Coffee - BOGO
- Portland Roasters is a local coffee and a great price at BOGO, bags are 12oz and run for $13.99 which comes to $7/bag which these days is pretty good!
I haven't done a Trader Joe's roundup lately so here are a few staple items I love to grab there for the best prices!! I'll do a full Trader Joe's FAVORITES list soon - these are just a few things I remembered to check on while out.
- Fresh Garlic - $0.49/head
- You know I go through garlic quickly, especially when making toum - I find that Trader Joe's has some of the consistently freshest and best priced garlic. $0.49 a head and lately I've been finding the garlic with the hints of purple.
- Fresh Basil - $2.79
- If I'm looking to make a batch of pesto, this is my go-to! A 4oz container is $2.79 (organic is 3-something). I usually get 2 packages and make a big batch. I do love their basil plants which I keep at my window sill for little bits of basil at a time.
- Eggplant - $1.59 each
- The funny thing about Trader Joe's is everything is a set price vs by pound because they don't have scales at their registers. For eggplant, $1.59 is typically a better price than purchasing it by the pound. Fred Meyer and Safeway are selling them for $1.99 each right now.
- Seedless Lemons 2lbs - $2.99
- I tend to buy all my lemons at Trader Joe's (and limes). These 2lb bags of seedless lemons are my favorite! They're extra juicy, no seeds and comparable in price to their traditional lemons at $1.59/lb.
Deb Wostmann says
Love this weekly feature on your blog. I agree, TJ's garlic is the best. I've stopped buying it anywhere else. Thank you again for keeping us up on the latest sales and info. I had no idea Fred Meyer's were going to stop their print ads.
Cosette's Kitchen says
I'm so glad to hear this Deb!!! Yes, they just shared on their print ad this week - I was surprised but I can totally see their point - especially here in the PNW. Good luck shopping this week and PLEASE let me know if there are any other tips that are helpful to you when it comes to shopping or meal prepping!