Delicious smashed potatoes with bacon and cheese for the ultimate comfort food.
- 3 pounds red or yellow potatoes ~ the smaller the better
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided, more as needed
- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped
- 5 oz Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- Toum or 3 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Clean your potatoes to ensure any dirt is removed from the skin.
- Cook your potatoes, choose your cooking method and timing:
Instant Pot: place your rack at the bottom of the pot and add 1 cup of water. Place your potatoes in the pot and set to manual-high for 8 minutes. Quick release.
Steaming: place a steamer basket in a large pot and 2 cups of water at the bottom. Add your potatoes and cover. Allow potatoes to steam over medium heat for 20-30 minutes (depending on size of potato) check after 20 minutes to see if they are fork tender.
Boiling: Place potatoes in a large pot and fill with water until potatoes are covered by about 1″. Allow pot to come to a boil, then reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes depending on size.
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare your bacon. Place chopped bacon in a skillet and cook on medium-high heat until just browned. Remove and place on paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Prepare 2 half sheet pans by drizzling a thin layer of olive oil then add your cooked potatoes.
- Once potatoes are on sheet pans, use a potato masher to smash each one on the pan. Repeat.
- Salt each potato with a sprinkling of kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Drizzle each potato with some additional olive oil. If you have Toum, add it now then top with bacon bits.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes in middle/bottom racks.
- Remove after 15 minutes and top with garlic (if you aren’t using Toum) and cheese.
- Place back in oven for another 5-10 minutes until melted.
- Remove from oven, add chopped chives, thyme and any additional flake salt.
- Enjoy warm out of the oven with sour cream or as is.
Keywords: potato, instant pot, cheese, easy, side dish, appetizer, football, thanksgiving