Delicious whole Coho Salmon is cooked to perfection in the oven. Filled with Middle Eastern spices and tangy lemon flavor. This recipe is for 2 whole salmons, feel free to adapt to one or make the entire rub and use the excess after fish is cooked.
- (2) 2.5/3 pound whole salmon – gutted and descaled
- 4 lemons, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt*
- 2 teaspoons sumac spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, about a cup – stems removed
- 1/2 bunch of fresh dill, about 1/2 cup – stems removed + extra for stuffing in fish.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 whole cloves garlic
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 C) and place rack in center of oven.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, place the juice of 2 lemons, salt, sumac, Aleppo pepper, black pepper, parsley, dill, olive oil and garlic. Blend on high until a paste or rub forms. Set aside and prepare your fish.
- Begin by preparing your fish. Ensure it is gutted and descaled – see process in post.
- Line a large sheet pan with heavy duty foil. Place your cleaned fish on the foil and begin by making 4-6 diagonal incisions on each side of the fish. The incisions should be about 1/2″ deep, just enough to be able to allow the herb rub to fill.
- Repeat on 2nd fish.
- Divide your rub and begin coating the fish with it – apply to the inside of the fish and then exterior, making sure to allow rub to fill each incision.
- Slice your last 2 lemons and insert slices into each fish with some additional dill.
- Bake your fish in the middle rack for 20-30 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. The last few minutes you can broil your fish skin for 2-3 minutes to get an extra char. Fish at the thickest point (usually toward the top, just under where head was removed). You want the fish to be between 125°F and 140°F, I aim for about 125°F. 110°F to 125°F (43°C to 52°C ), the fish is medium-rare. Between 125°F and 140°F, it’s medium to well-done. You don’t want it to reach above 140°F (60°C) otherwise it will be overcooked. I love my digital thermometer, a worthy investment for less than $20.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Serve with pan juices and extra lemon.
**If using salt other than Kosher Salt, half in the recipe
**The marinade/rub can be stored in the fridge up to 5 days – it’s great to use with any protein.
Keywords: whole roasted salmon, how to cook salmon, Mediterranean salmon, easy salmon bake, how to cook salmon in oven, how to cook salmon with skin, Mediterranean salmon recipe