A delicious Irish Soda Bread, perfect for breakfast or tea.
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
2 cups raisins
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease (2) 9″ cake pans with butter, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Cut in your cold butter with pastry blender until it looks like fine crumbles.
- Add in your raisins and toss so they are fully coated.
- Make a well in the center of your dry mixture and add your slightly beaten eggs and buttermilk.
- Fold and mix until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Pour your batter into the 2 prepared cake pans and spread dough evenly. I will often spray my spatula with cooking spray and pat down the dough.
- Make a cross in the center of your bread loaf.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Brush with melted butter and cinnamon and sugar when it comes out of the oven.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Keywords: bread, baking, raisins, soda bread