This simple Lebanese Spiced Rice dish is a staple in Middle Eastern countries. Laura's Lean ground beef is the perfect protein to add to the earthy spices and toasted nuts.
Lebanese Spiced Rice - Hashweh
- 1 pound Laura's Lean 92% ground beef
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cups Jasmine rice, rinsed
- 6 Tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 tsp 7 Spice (or mixed spice) - if you can't find, you can sub with all-spice
- 2 tsp Kosher salt (start with 1 tsp if using table salt)
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups Heated beef, chicken or vegetable stock/broth - sub 1 bouillon cube if you don't have stock/broth
- 1/2 cup Pine nuts
- 1/2 cup Raw almonds, slivered
- 2 Tbsp Butter
Lebanese Spiced Rice
- Begin by prepping your rice. In a large bowl, add your rice and cover completely with water. Gently rub rice granules in water. Drain water and repeat until water runs clear. It should take about 5-6 times.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed enamel or non-stick pot on medium-high heat, add your olive oil and Laura's Lean 92% ground beef.
- Brown your meat and break apart using a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Add your rinsed and drained rice to the ground beef along with 6 tablespoons butter and spices; 7 spice, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and bring heat to low.
- Continue stirring your mixture on low for 25-30 minutes until you see all the rice granules separated from one another.
- Meanwhile, heat your broth/stock, set aside.
- Next, add your heated broth/stock to the rice and meat mixture. Place lid on pot and continue to cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- While your rice is cooking, in a small pan add your remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and pine nuts. Begin toasting on medium heat until just golden brown. Remove and add almonds, repeat same process.
- Plate your Lebanese Spiced Rice, Hashweh, top with toasted nuts and fresh chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
- Store Hashweh in fridge in sealed container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months in freezer safe container.
- Choosing lean ground beef is extremely important in this dish. Laura's Lean 92% Ground Beef is the perfect choice. 1 pound of meat goes a long way, a wonderful option when feeding a large group or family.
- Rinsing your rice - probably one of the most important tips to making any perfect rice dish is rinsing your rice. You want to rinse and repeat until the water runs clear. This ensures most of the starch is released leading to a fluffy rice.
- Patience is key! I never realized why my mom's rice was always so perfect. Part one is butter and part two is patience. Taking the time to stir your rice and meat together for about 30 minutes begins to par cook the rice and ensures each granule is toasted - building that flavor.
- Adding broth or stock to your rice is going to give you the most flavor versus plain water.
- Feel free to use whatever nuts you have on hand, most traditionally pine nuts and almonds are used.
Keywords: hashweh, arabic hashweh rice, hashweh beef, best hashweh rice, middle eastern hashweh, lebanese hashweh recipe, lean ground beef, lean beef, hashweh stuffing, Mediterranean dish hashweh, Lebanese rice, rice and meat