A simple snacking cake that is wonderful for breakfast or elegant enough for a dinner party.
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 splash of bourbon or whiskey (can be omitted)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil (or another neutral oil)
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk (any variety, whole milk is ideal)
- 3 pears sliced, firm
- powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare your 12″ skillet (or baking pan). Butter and flour your skillet to ensure there is a well coated surface.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add your eggs, vanilla and whiskey and beat for 2 minutes on high speed.
- Add in your sugar and beat for another 2-3 minutes until pale and golden.
- Next add in your dry ingredients slowly while machine is running on low.
- Finally, begin adding your liquid ingredients: oil, yogurt and milk.
- Beat on high until everything is combined, batter will be thick.
- Pour your batter into your prepared skillet and top with concentric slices of pear, I like to leave the skin on.
- Bake for 75-90 minutes until golden brown and tester comes out clean when inserted.
- Let cool slightly and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- Whiskey can be omitted, it does bake off and helps with minimizing eggy taste.
- Cake can be topped with salted caramel for an ultra decadent flavor, I like this recipe by Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Keywords: cake, pear, skillet, baking, baked goods, easy, one bowl, pear cake, pear skillet cake,