A lovely balance of citrus dressing with couscous, delicata squash and fall favorites. Perfect for a holiday gathering!
- 1 1/2 cup pearl couscous
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 14 oz Epic Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 delicata squash
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon minced shallot
- zest of one orange
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1/3 fresh shards of parmesan cheese
- Begin by cooking your pearl couscous – make sure it is pearl couscous which are much larger grains than standard couscous.
- In a wide skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of butter on medium-high heat, add your dry couscous and begin to toast, stirring frequently. Allow couscous to turn golden brown and quickly add your Epic Chicken Bone Broth. Be careful as steam rises when adding broth.
- Allow mixture to come to a boil then cover and reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once your couscous is done, allow to cool to room temperature or pop into the fridge if assembling the next day.
- Prepare your delicata squash. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim both ends of your squash then carefully cut straight down the center to expose 2 halves.
- Scoop seeds out and then begin cutting each half into ¼” half moons, skin-side up. In a large bowl combine your olive oil, honey, salt, pepper and allspice and whisk until combined.
- Toss your squash slices and mix to ensure they are coated in mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and line your squash pieces so they are not touching.
- Bake for 15 minutes in upper ⅓ of oven, then flip pieces and bake for another 15 minutes. They should be crisp and slightly caramelized when done.
- Combine your dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and whisk until thickened.
- In a large bowl, add your cooled couscous, pomegranate arils, delicata squash, parmesan shreds, pecans and pepitas (see note). Add your dressing and mix to combine. Enjoy!
- I like to toast my pecans and petitas together before adding to the salad, you can even add a touch of honey and flake while toasting for an extra touch.
- If making your salad ahead of time, add ½ cup of dressing to JUST the couscous and place in fridge. When ready to serve, add your extras and final ¼ cup of dressing and mixt to combine.
- If using table salt, be sure to half the amount in all steps
- Substitutions: the mix-ins are flexible, feel free to add dried cherries in place of pomegranate, other types of nuts and goat cheese for parmesan
Keywords: pearl couscous salad, autumn salad, pearl couscous, Israeli couscous, citrus dressing, make ahead salad, fall couscous recipe, couscous and delicata squash salad, easy make ahead salad, autumn couscous salad