Simple peasant meal for an easy and wholesome meal.
- 2 cups Jasmine rice or similar, rinsed
- 1/3 cup vermicelli noodles* see note to keep gluten free
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 4 cups of water or broth
Spinach + Meat
- 1 lb meat; petite sirloin works well, diced into small pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups of water or beef/chicken broth (divided 4+2)
- 24 oz bag of frozen spinach
- Salt + Pepper
- Fresh lemon
- Toasted pine nuts**
- Begin by rinsing your rice. You’ll want to soak in water for about 15-20 minutes and then drain and rinse to be sure the water runs clear. Removing the extra starch allows the rice to be much fluffier and not stick together. Continue rinsing and draining until the water runs clear.
- In a non-stick pot, melt butter and add in the vermicelli noodles, let them brown while stirring constantly so they don’t burn.
- Once the noodles have browned, add in your rinsed rice and let them get coated with the butter and begin to smell fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Next add your 4 cups of water bring to a boil, then cover and lower heat to low. Set timer for 20 minutes.
- Once the rice is done, remove from heat and leave covered for 10-15 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
Spinach + Meat
- Place large skillet onto burner on medium-high heat. Add olive oil.
- Once oil is warm, add chopped onions and let them begin to sweat, 5-8 minutes.
- Next, add your chopped meat and continuously stir.
- Once browned, add in your first cup of water or broth, let the meat cook until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add in your next cup of water or broth. Continue adding in water or broth as it becomes absorbed. You’ll want to use 4 cups total, it should take about 45 minutes. (reserve the other 2 cups)
- Next, add in your frozen spinach and the remaining 2 cups of liquid. Let the spinach soften in the juices.
- Season with salt and pepper to desired taste. I don’t specify the amount because depending on if you choose to use water or broth, it will change the amount. Always start with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and add more from there to taste.
- Plate bed of rice, add spinach mixture and squeeze lemon on top. Add toasted pine nuts if desired. Enjoy!
- **Toasted pine nuts are a delicious added treat to this meal. Melt a little butter in a pan and add pine nuts until they brown and are fragrant. Remove and use as a topping.
- Omit vermicelli noodles to keep dish gluten free
Keywords: spinach and rice, rice, Lebanese, meat stew, spinach stew, Lebanese meat and spinach stew, healthy, gluten free