Tangy, tender and flavorful Chicken Shish Tawook (Taouk) is a common grilled dish in Lebanon. Marinated with a combination of yogurt, garlic toum and spices it's flavor packed. You won't go back to eating plain chicken again!
- 2.5 pounds of chicken breast (or thighs) cut into 1.5" cubes
- 6" wooden or metal skewers
- 3/4 cup plain full-fat yogurt*
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 2 lemons, 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup toum (sub 15 cloves minced garlic)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika (sweet or smoked, your preference)
- 1 teaspoon sumac spice (add an additional zest of 1 lemon if you don't have)
- 2 teaspoons Diamond kosher salt*
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Begin by preparing your chicken, cut into large cubes about 1.5" each, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all your marinade ingredients and whisk until fully combined.
- Place your chicken cubes into marinade, cover and set in fridge for 4-12 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove from fridge and place 4-5 pieces of chicken on your skewer (more if using a larger skewer).
- Heat your grill, grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Grease your grill grates or drizzle a little oil on your skillet or flat top grill.
- Place shish tawook skewers on heated grill and allow each side to cook for about 4 minutes, rotating on all 4 sides until charred and fully cooked through.
- Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees Fahrenheit if using a thermometer, if you don't have a thermometer, remove one piece of chicken, cut and make sure it is fully white on the inside.
- Remove from grill and cover with foil to keep juices and moisture locked.
- Enjoy with additional toum and pita!
- If using Morton's kosher salt, reduce to 1.5 teaspoons - if using table salt, reduce to 1 teaspoon
- If omitting the yogurt, be sure to increase your toum or olive oil to 1/3 cup
- Feel free to add onion chunks in between your chicken on the skewers.
Keywords: superbowl food, chicken shish tawook, lebanese shish tawook recipe, authentic shish tawook recipe, what is shish tawook, shish taouk recipe, grilled chicken kebabs, shish tawook vs chicken shawarma