This soup is super versatile and delicious. It uses mainly pantry staples and all can be adjusted to what you have on hand.
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken - check out this recipe for everyday roasted chicken
- 2 Tbsp oil - olive or any neutral oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1 sweet pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp aleppo pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika (optional)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced or 2 heaping teaspoons of toum
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes (or any variety of canned tomato)
- 2 cans of black or pinto beans, or a combination of the two - rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1/4 cup corn flour or corn meal (optional)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- kosher salt, to taste
- crushed tortilla chips
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Heat your oil in a large stock pot on medium-high heat.
- Add your onions and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add in 1 tsp kosher salt while cooking.
- Add your diced sweet pepper, garlic and spices. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until combined and fragrant.
- Add in your can of tomato and beans.
- Next add in your chicken broth and water, you can adjust these. You'll need 6 cups total of a combination or one or the other.
- Add in your cooked chicken, tomato paste and corn flour/meal and allow to come to a boil on high heat.
- Once soup has come to a boil, add in your corn and set to low/simmer.
- Check for seasoning, add additional salt to taste.
- Enjoy soup, topping with crushed tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream, jalapenos, cheese, scallions, cilantro or any combination.
This soup is super versatile! If you don't have any of these items, feel free to substitute for what you have on hand or omit completely.
Keywords: chicken recipes, soup, taco soup, tortilla, tortilla soup, chicken taco soup, taco soup recipe, chicken soup recipe, cooking, soup recipes, mexican recipes, easy recipes, pantry recipe, pantry ingredients