If this quarantine has taught us anything, it’s that patience is a virtue. And even better, I’m learning that so many of you are cooking more and more these days. Getting into the kitchen to cook or bake is so exciting!! My goal is to come out with quick and easy recipes for you that have versatility and also comfort.
Blog posts will be short and to the point with quick blurbs and recipes so you can get right to the kitchen. More than anything, I love seeing your creations and hearing how they came out so be sure to connect with me here or via social media. Feedback is so important to me in helping to create useful recipes for you!
This quick and easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is absolutely versatile and quick to make with basic pantry staples. Enjoy and let me know how you made it your own!
What you’ll need
- Chicken – leftover chicken is great, you can use this simple roasted chicken recipe to have some on hand
- 28oz can crushed tomato (or any canned tomato)
- Chicken broth/water
- variety of veggies: peppers, onions, carrots
- Canned beans
- Frozen corn
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, paprika, aleppo pepper, paprika
- optional: green chilies, tomato paste, corn flour
The best part of this soup is all the toppings. You can use all of them or whatever you have on hand. It’s super versatile!
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- crushed tortillas
- lime juice
As always, I love seeing your creations. Please leave a review or share your dish with me on social media. You can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. For more delicious recipes to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter! Check out my Instagram stories for step by step on making this soup!
Other recipes you may like:Print
This soup is super versatile and delicious. It uses mainly pantry staples and all can be adjusted to what you have on hand.
- 2–3 cups shredded chicken – check out this recipe for everyday roasted chicken
- 2 Tbsp oil – olive or any neutral oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2–3 carrots, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1 sweet pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp aleppo pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika (optional)
- 4–6 cloves garlic, minced or 2 heaping teaspoons of toum
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes (or any variety of canned tomato)
- 2 cans of black or pinto beans, or a combination of the two – rinsed and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (optional)
- 1/4 cup corn flour or corn meal (optional)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- kosher salt, to taste
- crushed tortilla chips
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Heat your oil in a large stock pot on medium-high heat.
- Add your onions and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add in 1 tsp kosher salt while cooking.
- Add your diced sweet pepper, garlic and spices. Continue to cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat until combined and fragrant.
- Add in your can of tomato and beans.
- Next add in your chicken broth and water, you can adjust these. You’ll need 6 cups total of a combination or one or the other.
- Add in your cooked chicken, tomato paste and corn flour/meal and allow to come to a boil on high heat.
- Once soup has come to a boil, add in your corn and set to low/simmer.
- Check for seasoning, add additional salt to taste.
- Enjoy soup, topping with crushed tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream, jalapenos, cheese, scallions, cilantro or any combination.
This soup is super versatile! If you don’t have any of these items, feel free to substitute for what you have on hand or omit completely.
Keywords: chicken recipes, soup, taco soup, tortilla, tortilla soup, chicken taco soup, taco soup recipe, chicken soup recipe, cooking, soup recipes, mexican recipes, easy recipes, pantry recipe, pantry ingredients