This simple and delicious roasted whole chicken is the answer to your weekly meals!
Spice Mixture - makes enough for about 4 chickens
- 3 Tablespoons Kosher salt* (half if using any other salt)
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 3/4 Tablespoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons sumac
- 1 Tablespoon mixed spices (or all spice)
- 1 whole chicken (approximately 4-5 pounds)
- 3 Tablespoons chicken spice mixture (recipe above)
- 3 Tablespoons toum (or olive oil)
- Other aromatics for cavity of chicken if desired
- Half sheet pan or roasting pan with rack
- Half sheet pan stainless steel rack
- Combine your spices in a small bowl until fully incorporated.
- Place in a jar and store in pantry, use as needed for chicken.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare your sheet pan by covering in foil and place rack on top, set aside.
- Measure out 3 tablespoons of your spice mixture into a small bowl.
- Remove your chicken from the fridge and allow to rest and come to room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- On a clean work surface/cutting board, place your chicken and remove giblets inside cavity and trim the excess skin around the cavity.
- Next, with a few paper towels, lightly pat the chicken to remove excess moisture.
- With the chicken breastside up, slowly begin working your hand between the skin and the breast gently pulling until the membrane is released and you can access the breast.
- Place about a tablespoon of your spice mixture and rub UNDER the skin directly on the breast.
- With your remaining spice mixture, cover the entire chicken on both sides and between legs and wings.
- If using toum, add 3 tablespoons onto your chicken and rub all over, under breast skin until fully coated. If using olive oil, give a healthy coating all over the bird.
- If you'd like to stuff your cavity with some aromatics, do so now.
- Place on your prepared sheet pan - up to 2 chickens, breast side up. Using your twine, secure the legs of the chicken.
- Place your chicken(s) in preheated oven and cook for 1.5-2 hours. Checking for juices to run clean and temperature of thickest part of thigh to reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit not touching the bone. Continue cooking until fully cooked. A good rule of thumb is about 20 minutes per pound for your chicken, if cooking 2, add an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Enjoy with additional toum and pita bread.
*Be sure to check the type of salt you use when making your spice mixture.
*Measure out the spice mixture you'll need for your chicken BEFORE beginning and keep that bowl away from the rest of your mixture to ensure cross contaminating.
*My oven takes about 2 hours for 2 chickens at 400 degrees. Ovens vary so I would begin with 20 minutes per pound and continue to check from there.
Keywords: roasted chicken, cooking a roast chicken, how to roast a chicken, how to roast a chicken in the oven, how to roast a chicken without a roasting pan, how to roast a chicken and keep it moist, roast a chicken uncovered, roast a chicken in the oven, roast chicken temperature, best roast chicken crispy skin