Simple, elegant lamb skewers make a perfect holiday appetizer.
1 pound American boneless leg of lamb, cut in 1" cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed or minced
- 1.5 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1.5 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- juice of 1 lemon
Parsley Sumac Salad
- 3/4 large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup chopped and cleaned flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 Tbsp sumac
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Parsley Sumac Salad
- Prepare your salad just before you begin cooking your lamb skewers.
- Slice your onion as thin as you can and place in a bowl.
- Prepare your parsley but chopping finely and cleaning by soaking in water and scooping parsley out and squeezing excess water. Repeat 2 times to ensure no dirt remains on parsley. Add to your onions.
- Add in your sumac and salt and gently massage the mixture together until juices are released. Set aside.
Preparing Lamb Skewers:
- Begin by trimming your American leg of lamb and cube into 1" pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine your marinade ingredients and whisk well to combine.
- Place your lamb pieces into marinade, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour up to 24 hour hours. The longer they marinade the more intense the flavor will be.
- When ready to cook, skewer your lamb bites onto a small 4" skewer.
- Heat a skillet, preferably cast iron or non-stick with 3 tablespoons of canola or other neutral oil on medium-high heat.
- Place your skewers in hot skillet, be careful not to crowd the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Skewers should be nicely seared and browned. Remove from skillet and continue cooking the remainder of your skewers until they are complete. Using a piece of foil, tent your finished skewers to keep warm.
- Plate with a layer of hummus and top with parsley sumac salad and toasted pine nuts.
Keywords: lamb, lamb kebobs, chicken skewers, kebob recipe, kofta kebob, kabob marinade, lamb kabobs, lamb kofta, falafel, shawarma, hummus recipe