Simple and flavorful rice made the Lebanese way.
- 2 cups Jasmine rice, or other long grain rice – 400 grams
- 1/2 cup vermicelli rice – 50 grams
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided – salted or unsalted, your preference*
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt* – use half the amount if using table salt
- 4 cups water or broth – additional water for soaking rice
- In a large bowl place your rice fill with cold water to cover completely.
- Allow rice to soak for about 20 minutes – it will be a cloudy white color.
- Drain water and add additional water, drain immediately and repeat about 10 times until water runs clear. Set aside.
- In a non-stick 3 quart sized pot, or similar, melt 4 tablespoons butter (you can sub olive oil here if you’d prefer) on medium-high heat. Once melted, add your vermicelli noodles. Cook noodles until golden brown – making sure to stir constantly to ensure they don’t burn. Continue for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add your rinsed and drained rice to the pot along with the additional 2 tablespoons butter and salt. Continue cooking rice and noodles for about 10-15 minutes until rice granules are slightly toasted and no longer stick together.
- Next, add your water or broth, turn to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low and set timer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes of cooking, remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with fork and serve warm.
- You may sub chicken, vegetable or beef broth for water to add more flavor
- You may sub olive oil to brown vermicelli noodles if you prefer
- Store rice in sealed container in fridge for 5-7 days, heat as needed
- You may use cut up spaghetti noodles in place of vermicelli noodles
Keywords: how to make rice on the stove, rice, lebanese rice, easy lebanese rice, lebanese rice dishes, lebanese rice recipe, lebanese rice bowl, Lebanese Rice with Vermicelli, middle eastern rice, rice pilaf