Delicious, delicate scones perfect for any holiday or weekend brunch!
- 3 cups all purpose flour - 400 grams
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces - 56 grams
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar - 70 grams
- 1 tablespoon Clabber Girl Double Acting Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt*
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- 3 tablespoons Spice Islands Poppy Seeds + extra for topping
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream (more as needed by 1 tablespoon)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- vanilla paste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and place rack in center of oven. Prepare a baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add your flour, sugar, Clabber Girl Double Acting Baking Powder, salt and zest of 2 lemons.
- With clean hands rub butter pieces into flour mixture until small crumbles form and ingredients are combined.
- Add 3 tablespoons Spice Islands Poppy Seeds, mix.
- Next, add your heavy cream and, beginning with 1 1/3 cup and adding more by 1 tablespoon as needed combine dough with spatula. Add vanilla. Dough should just come together - some dry crumbles will remain.
- Turn onto floured surface and form into a large disc, combining all the loose crumbles until fully formed and cohesive.
- Divide in 2 and form those into 2 discs about 1" thick. Cut into 4s and place on prepared baking sheet, leaving 1.5 inches apart.*
- Bake scones for 18-20 minutes until risen, golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before glazing.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing 1 cup powdered sugar and 1-2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice. Add more or less sugar/juice to achieve desired consistency. Add a hint of vanilla paste to get extra vanilla flavor and vanilla specks.
- Once scones are cool, drizzle glaze on each scone and finally sprinkle additional Spice Islands Poppy Seeds on top.
- Scones are best enjoyed the day of baking.
- Pro tip - Make scones up to step 7 and freeze flat on baking sheet, then pop into freezer bag. When you're ready to enjoy fresh scones, remove from freezer bag and bake as directed.
- If you'd like to swap out orange or grapefruit for lemon - they'd be delicious!
- You can also add up to 3/4 cup of an add-in such as: chocolate chunks, raisins, cranberries or fresh fruit to this recipe.
Keywords: easter, brunch, easter baking, scones recipe, cream scones, scones recipe easy, cream scones vs butter scones, cream scones recipe, lemon poppy scones, lemon poppy seed scones, lemon poppy scones recipe, lemon poppy seed scones with glaze, lemon poppy cream scones, lemon poppy seed scones king arthur, lemon and poppy seed scones