A subtle hint of ginger and cinnamon make this shortbread stand out. Pair with orange marmalade, pistachios and chocolate for the ultimate treat.
- 13 tablespoons unsalted butter, or 190 grams - softened
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, or 64 grams
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, or 375 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10 ounces orange marmalade
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- 1 cup chocolate chunks or chips
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add your softened butter and powdered sugar. Start to mix on low until powdered sugar is combined. Then increase speed to medium-high and allow mixture to get light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add your egg, mix to combine. Be sure to scrape down sides and mix again.
- With the mixer on low/stir, slowly add your flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Mix on low until combined.
- Increase speed to medium and mix for another 2 minutes until a soft dough forms.
- On a clean work surface, place your dough and roll into about 1/2" thickness to the approximate 9x13 of your sheet pan.
- Once rolled, place into sheet pan and using hands and the bottom of a glass press into place. Do not create an edge, keep dough even all the way around.
- Once your dough is evenly pressed, spread your marmalade on top and bake for 25-30 minutes, the crust should be cooked and marmalade bubbling.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios on top and set aside until cooled.
- Once cookies have cooled, melt your chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Place in microwave and heat in 15 second intervals. Stopping every 15 seconds to mix. It should take 2-3 minutes until your chocolate is smooth depending on the strength of your microwave.
- You can simply drizzle on top of your bars with a spoon or place chocolate in a sandwich sized ziplock baggie and snip a VERY tiny corner of the bag. Begin to pipe diagonals across your bars with bag.
- Allow chocolate to set then cut into bars and enjoy!
- Be sure to soften your butter before you begin. Quick tip, if your butter isn't softened I pop into microwave for 10 second intervals rotating until just softened.
- You certainly can use salted butter, just omit the salt if you do.
- I like to cut into tiny 1"x 1" bars but you can cut them in any size you'd like
- If you're doubling the recipe, bake in a standard half sheet pan.
Keywords: shortbread marmalade bars, orange marmalade bars, orange marmalade cookies, shortbread jam squares, spiced shortbread bars, spiced shortbread cookies, marmalade shortbread, cookies with marmalade, cookies, easy recipe