When a large group of bloggers decide to virtually get together for a party, you SHOW UP! The lovely wonderful ladies of Square Meal Round Table and What Annie's Eating put together this lovely tribute to the mighty GRAPEFRUIT.
Tis' the season for all things citrus from incredible blood oranges, meyer lemons and of course grapefruit. This is the perfect time of year to enjoy this seasonal citrus, at its peak. It's funny, I was never a huge grapefruit fan until my later years, of course, I definitely enjoy it with some sugar but I do enjoy it greatly now. My kids have also become HUGE grapefruit eaters, so I can't complain! Although, my poor husband has made a name for himself as the "Best Grapefruit Cutter" so I leave the cutting to him, I'll take them and bake!
With grapefruit in peak season, I thought a grapefruit poppy loaf would be a nice twist to a traditional lemon poppy seed bread. I had these little mini loaf ceramic dishes I had been dying to use so 6 little loaves came about. Perfect for snacking, gifting or even freezing for a morning you just don't want to bake.
These loaves are filled with grapefruit zest, juice and of course topped with a delicious grapefruit glaze that gives it that extra dose of sweetness and glamour. You can certainly skip the glaze and pour a touch of grapefruit juice on top instead.
I love cakes that take a few minutes to make but pack a ton of flavor and are sure to impress! You can find this recipe and a TON more grapefruit inspiration by checking out the Instagram hashtag: #greatfruitgrapefruit . I also have links to some amazing recipes below to check out.
As always, I love seeing your creations! If you make these adorable loaves, give me a tag on Instagram or Facebook or leave a comment below. Be sure to pin for later!
More Grapefruit Inspiration
- What Annie’s Eating - Roasted Side of Salmon with Fennel + Grapefruit Slaw
- Square Meal Round Table - Pink Grapefruit Cheesecake
- Katiebird Bakes - Grapefruit Yogurt Bundt Cake
- My Kitchen Love - Grapefruit Poppyseed Mini Bundt Cakes
- Baking The Goods - Grapefruit Coconut Bars
- Suburban Pie and Treats- Grapefruit Custard Pie
- Farm & Coast Cookery -
- Gobble The Cook - Incredibly Moist Grapefruit Cake
- Jessie Sheehan Bakes - Pink Grapefruit Bars
- Betterfoodguru- Sweet Grapefruit Vinaigrette
- Candied Pomelo - Chocolate Covered Grapefruit Peels
- The Capsule Kitchen - Grapefruit Margaritas
- Foodsoulutions -refined sugar-free grapefruit rosemary soda
- The Healthy Sins - Grapefruit Curd Tartlets with Roasted Meringue
- Bappy Girl -Grapefruit Basil Marmalade https://bappygirlyum.blogspot.com/2019/02/grapefruit-basil-marmalade.html
- This Healthy Table - Spicy Thai Grapefruit Salad
- Always Eat Dessert - Grapefruit Tart
- For the Love of Gourmet - Grapefruit Olive Oil Cake
- Whatcha Cooking Good Looking? - Grapefruit Creamsicle Bars
- Pie Girl Bakes - Grapefruit Donuts
- Clean Plate Clb - Grapefruit Curd Tart with Champagne Whipped Cream
- Olive & Mango - Pink Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
- Crumb Top Baking - Grapefruit Salad with Cilantro and Goat Cheese
- LaLa Lunchbox - Grapefruit Ricotta Pancakes
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 splash bourbon or whiskey optional
- 2 large grapefruits, zested
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ cup canola oil or another neutral oil
- ½ cup whole milk yogurt
- ½ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour 6 mini loaf pans (mine were 3.5" x 5.5" and about 2" high).**see notes below for baking in standard loaf pan or bundt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add your: eggs, sugar, vanilla, zest from 2 grapefruit and bourbon.
- Mix on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes until fluffy.
- Add in your dry ingredients until just combined.
- Finally add your oil, yogurt and grapefruit juice and allow to mix for 2-3 minutes until batter is fully combined.
- Pour into prepared mini loaf pans, batter can be filled to almost the top, leave about ¼". Place your mini loaves on a sheet pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Tops should be golden in color. Remove from oven, let cool then remove from ceramic loaf pans. Prepare glaze and top when loaves are cool. Enjoy!
- Combine your powdered sugar and grapefruit juice until a thick but pourable glaze forms.
**If you don't have mini loaf pans, this bakes great in a bundt pan. Coat your bundt pan well, I really love using Baker's Joy! Bake bundt for 55-60 minutes
**You can also prepare 2 standard size loaf pans (9.5" x 2") and bake those for about 45 minutes
**You can obviously omit the glaze, you may want to drizzle about a tablespoon of fresh grapefruit juice on top when they come out of the oven if you choose to omit the glaze.