I am definitely that mom that worries about my kids getting enough fiber in their diet, how about you? Or for that matter, making sure we all get enough fiber, am I right?
Enter these delightful Molasses Raisin Bran Muffins that not only pack a TON of fiber in each bite but are sweet and perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
The Goodness of Bran
I'm a fan of too many yummy, yet sugary cereals I'll be the first to admit. But I always have a box of plain old Bran Flakes lurking around my pantry. They are such a wonderful component to making muffins, like these or even using as breadcrumbs or sprinkling onto yogurt. Some amazing benefits to bran flakes include:
- 6 grams of fiber for every cup
- High in folic acid
- promotes healthy digestive health
- helps to keep heart healthy
- source of whole grains
I'm not sure how many kids are going to eat a big old bowl of Bran Flakes, but I know plenty of kids that will eat a muffin any time. These muffins are slightly sweet mostly by molasses and honey and super moist and fluffy from the coconut oil, milk and mushy bran cereal. When baked, you can't even tell these were made with a whole grain cereal. Brushing the warm muffins with honey after they come out of the oven takes these to a whole other level. The hint of sweetness and shine really make these stand out.
A quick roundup of ingredients include:
- baking soda
- ground flax seeds (additional fiber)
- coconut oil
- brown sugar
- bran flakes
One of my favorite parts of this recipe is the use of only a bowl and a spatula, no mixer required! These are the types of recipes I'll whip up the night before and have them ready the next morning. It truly saves time and I can ensure my kiddos are eating something that will fill them up and pack some nutrition.
Check out the full recipe below! As always, I love seeing your creations. Please leave a review or share your dish with me on social media. You can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. For more delicious recipes to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter!
Other recipes you may like:
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- ½ cup molassas
- 2 ½ cups milk whole milk is preferred
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar dark brown sugar is preferred
- 4 cups bran flake cereal
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seeds optional
- 1 cup raisins
- ¼ cup coconut oil can sub canola/vegetable oil*
- 2 tablespoon honey for brushing tops
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray muffin tins with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine your wet ingredients (except for coconut oil) + brown sugar, whisk to combine.
- Add your bran flake cereal to the wet ingredients and allow to sit for 5 minutes to soften.
- Slowly mix your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients and mix until just combined using a spatula. Your batter will be a bit runny (it's okay, it should be). Finally add your coconut oil and raisins.
- Fill your sprayed muffin tins full, leaving just a small space to the rim of the top. Be sure to scoop up raisins in each scoop. The muffins will rise but won't spill over, they will pillow up.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and while still hot, brush tops with honey.
- Remove from muffin tins, allow to cool on cooling rack and enjoy!
If you are using canola or vegetable oil in place of coconut oil, it is ok to combine with wet ingredients.
Recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/47146/molasses-bran-muffins/