Oh Thanksgiving, the time of year where we go completely INSANE for one day of binge eating. Us Americans really do it right! But in all seriousness, it's basically the Superbowl for foodies, am I right? Days and weeks of preparation for the perfect desserts, sides and appetizers. Gathering all your closest friends and family to celebrate nothing other than FRIENDSHIP. It really is the quintessential holiday.
Like most holidays, tradition comes into play heavily! Beware, anything you start in 2018, be ready to continue for the next 10 years (especially those with kids). We introduced our kids to the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade a few years ago. It was one of their first experiences watching live TV, including all those brainwashing commercials. I happened to make some Cranberry Orange Scones for something to nosh on before our 10 course meal later that night. Fast forward a few year later, guess what my kids do every Thanksgiving? Yup, watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and nosh on Cranberry Orange Scones. Who am I to mess with tradition?
These simple scones come together rather easily and quickly, but the best part is you can prepare them days even a few weeks ahead of time. Making them ahead and popping them into the freezer will make you a STAR Thanksgiving morning. It's also one less thing to worry about preparing. Fresh cranberries are the star of this scone, with fragrant hints of orange and flaky layers they're sure to be a hit!
One bowl, a few tools and you're ready to create magic in the kitchen. Once mixing your dry ingredients together, work the few tablespoons of butter together between your fingers or with a pastry cutter. Pour in your heavy cream (aka liquid gold) and mix together gently until a shaggy dough forms. Dump onto a clean surface and work your dough gently into a rectangle, fold over a few times gathering all the loose dough bits to incorporate. Once a solid dough forms, cut in half then shape each half into a round about 1.5" thick. Cut into 6 pieces for each circle for smaller scones. Place on your prepared baking sheet (parchment or silicone lined) and pop into the freezer or bake immediately. After baking, allow to cool and drizzle the delicious orange glaze on top for a perfect morning treat.
Whatever your Holiday traditions, wishing you the best and most festive! As always, I love seeing your creations! Tag me on Instagram or Facebook for a chance to be featured in my stories!
For more cranberry inspiration, check out these amazing blogs and the Instagram hashtag #yesyoucranberry
What Annie’s Eating Cranberry Gin Fizz
Square Meal Round Table’s Cranberry Orange Streusel Pie
Easy and Delish -- Avocado Cranberry Hummus Dip
The Cooking of Joy’s Cranberry Curd Tart
Jessie Sheehan Bakes - Cranberry Buckle
Ciao Chow Bambina - Cranberry Pecan Cracker Spread
Baking The Goods - Cranberry Apple Brown Butter Crumble Pie
Katiebird Bakes - Cranberry Sauce Breakfast Rolls
Crumb Top Baking’s Cranberry Orange Overnight Oatmeal Muffins
The Baking Fairy - Vegan Cranberry Apple Bundt Cake
You Can Live Rich On Less - Cranberry Cherry Tarts
Sift & Simmer - White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
Bappy Girl - https://bappygirlyum.blogspot.com/
Ronnie Fein - Baked Goat Cheese with Honey Sauce and Cranberries: http://www.ronniefein.com/blog/on-hanukkah-lets-not-forget-that-a-woman-played-a?rq=Cranberries
Lemon Thyme and Ginger https://lemonthymeandginger.com/baked-french-toast-apple-cranberry-compote
Cranberry Agua Fresca with Mint and Lime: http://www.holajalapeno.com/2016/11/cranberry-agua-fresca.html
Cranberry Pie with Dried Figs and Cashews: http://www.ronniefein.com/blog/honey-cashew-pie
Susannah Chen’s Cranberry Pico de Gallo
Katherine in Brooklyn: Cranberry Cinnamon Buns
Pie Girl Bakes: Dark Chocolate Chunk Cranberry Cookies
Clean Plate Club: Glazed Cream Puffs with Cranberry Buttercream
Tiny Kitchen Capers: http://www.tinykitchencapers.com/white-chocolate-cranberry-oatmeal-cookies/
Le Petit Eats: Dark Chocolate Tart with Cinnamon Sugared Cranberry
Prickly Fresh’s: Cranberry Crostini with Prosciutto & Port Salut
Zestful Kitchen: Naturally Sweetened Cranberry Curd
Simple and Sweet Food: Fresh Ricotta and Spiced Cranberry Crostini
Frosting and Fettuccine http://frostingandfettuccine.com/cranberry-cheesecake-bars/
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||18 minutes|
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¾ cup fresh cranberries, cut in half
- 1 zest of orange
- 1 ⅓ cup heavy cream (additional as needed)
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in butter and work into small crumbles with pastry cutter or fingertips. Add in cranberries, zest and gently toss together.
- In a liquid measuring cup mix together vanilla extract and 1 ⅓ cups cream. Drizzle the cream mixture into the flour mixture, tossing gently until a cohesive dough forms. Add 2-3 more tablespoons of cream if necessary to create a moist, cohesive, but not sticky dough.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently gather and knead the dough into 2 disks, rolling gently to create about 1.5" thick. Cut each disk into 6 even triangles. **see note below for freezing
- Place 1-inch apart on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through (best to bake 1 tray at a time, if you can't, swap trays at the halfway point to ensure even baking and browning on top).
- Remove from the oven and transfer to cooling rack. Make glaze, whisk powdered sugar and juice until a smooth glaze forms. Drizzle on top of cooled scones, top with hazelnuts if you like.
**Make ahead. Go through all the steps for scones except baking. Once you have cut scones, you can freeze on the baking sheet until form then toss them into a zip lock bag. Anytime you want a fresh scone, pop into the oven and glaze! Great before the holidays!