Soup season! It's officially acceptable to have soup anytime. My middle child is more than happy with that, considering she asks for cream of broccoli soup about 3 times a month...even when it's 80+ degrees outside. I definitely tend to make more broth based soups: chicken noodle, Italian wedding, lentil but sometimes a lovely cream based soup is just what you need to get you through those cold days.
With days growing shorter and shorter and the holiday season upon us, I feel like I have been running around like crazy day in and day out. Trying to get kids to where they need to be, manage school events, try to keep our house in some kind of working/neat order and of course get dinner on the table. Frankly, the days I aim for a blog post and make dinner in the morning, I give myself a nice big pat on the back. After completely cleaning out my fridges yesterday I realized that I needed a big ol' grocery shopping trip and perhaps get a meal plan together this week? Maybe? Anyone else in that boat? A few stores later + unloading the cooking began.
Alessia, my middle child, sweet as pie has a ridiculous obsession with cream of broccoli soup. Someway, somehow it became her all-time favorite soup. It's nothing fancy, pretty inexpensive to make and definitely fills you up. The best thing about this soup is that it takes only a few minutes to prepare and can be only one pot! Doesn't that sound incredible? I don't know about you, but a homemade delicious meal on a budget sounds pretty good to me. Between the normal holiday bustle + birthdays, December is a doozy! I know there are many variations to cream of broccoli but I hope you'll give this one a try, simple roux base, milk, broth + broccoli is all you need for an amazing dinner tonight. As always, I love seeing your creations, be sure to tag me on Instagram @CosettesKitchen or post on my Facebook Page.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 10 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into tablespoons
- 10 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 6 cups milk whole milk is preferred, can use 2%
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- salt & pepper to taste
- Begin by making your roux (butter + flour mixture). In a heavy-bottomed pot melt your butter. on medium-high heat. When butter begins to melt, add your flour and begin to whisk.
- Allow flour and butter to bubble slightly while continuing to whisk for 3-4 minutes. You want to create a thick mixture (a roux).
- Slowly add in about 1 cup of milk and continue to whisk allowing the roux to blend into the milk.
- Once the roux is no longer visible and has melded in with the liquid, add the remaining milk and broth.
- Continue whisking constantly until the soup begins to thicken and boil.
- Once the soup comes to a boil, lower the heat and add in your broccoli florets. You may roast your broccoli before placing into the soup but the heat from the soup will cook them perfectly, making it a one pot meal.
- Stir the soup and let the broccoli soften to al dente.
- Season with salt & pepper until the taste is just right.
- Enjoy with bread or toasted croutons.