Many years ago, BC (before children) I had the glorious pleasure of visiting the southern most point in the US, Key West! The hubs and I drank cocktails while we walked around the city, swam in a black bottom pool (super cool), hung out at Ernest Hemmingway's favorite bar, went snorkeling and of course...had key lime pie!
Pretty sure it was the first time I ever had it, definitely not a big Lebanese dessert. But I was intrigued...tart and sweet and light as a feather. I could see exactly why this dessert was popular down south. The citrus was super refreshing on those hot days.
Upon further research, I learned that Key Lime Pie was very specific to the Keys, as these little gems are produced down there. They are smaller and seedier than traditional Persian limes, have a higher acidity, a stronger aroma and a thinner rind. They only come around certain times of the year so I would grab them when you can! For the juiciest results, wait until these little gems become a little more yellow to extract the juice.
I saw a glorious bag of these guys in the store not long ago and thought....hmmmm, a citrus, refreshing dessert would be wonderful. But I truly had zero desire to make curd and meringue, lazy summer days, am I right? Enter these no bake, super simple mini Key Lime Pie cheesecakes.
Key Lime Cheesecake
A layer of graham cracker crumb a hint of ginger and glorious key lime juice whipped with a light and airy cheesecake filling (egg free!!) Desserts like this are made for summer days and super easy, stress-free entertaining. Make these a few days ahead of a big picnic and enjoy! You could even pour into a tart pan for one impressive dessert.
As always, I love seeing your creations. Leave a comment or tag me on Instagram or Facebook with your own creation! And don’t forget to Pin for later!
No Bake Key Lime Cheesecake
A simple, elegant no-bake dessert. Perfect to prepare ahead of time!
- 9 graham crackers (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 3 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup key lime juice*
- zest of 4 key limes (or 2 standard limes)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- ¼ cup coconut cream
Additional whipped cream for garnish
- In the bowl of a food processor, add your graham crackers and blend until fine crumbs form.
- Remove and pour into a bowl, add your butter and ginger until the crumbs stick together.
- Place about a heaping tablespoon of your crumb mixture into each 6oz ramekin, using the bottom of a glass or a tamper, press into bottom and partway up the sides.
- Next, prepare your filling.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with paddle attachment, place your cream cheese and powdered sugar, mix until smooth.
- Next add your liquid ingredients and zest and blend until smooth and firms up slightly.
- Pour your mixture evenly into your ramekin cups.
- Set in fridge for at least 4 hours, best overnight.
- Garnish with whipped cream and serve chilled.
*If you can't find key limes, by all means, use the juice of fresh standard limes
*You can make the same dessert in a 9" tart pan, follow directions as instructed but pat into larger pan.
[…] No Bake Key Lime Cheesecake – the perfect no bake dessert, easy enough for kiddos to put together! […]