Simple and classic banana bread with a little Middle Eastern twist – tahini!
- 3 ripe bananas, browned and spotted is best, mashed (290 grams)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (3 oz)
- 1/3 cup tahini (3 oz) – + 2 extra tablespoons for coating loaf pan
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (68 grams)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (76 grams)
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (245 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dates, about 4 medjool dates (optional)*
- 2–3 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and set rack to upper middle of oven.
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas using a fork or potato masher until bananas resemble a paste.
- Add your wet ingredients; coconut oil, tahini, eggs, vanilla and sugars to the banana mixture and fold until just combined.
- Next, add your dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt. Fold until just about no streaks remain.
- Just before all your flour is incorporated, add your chopped dates and fold until just combined.
- Prepare your 9″ loaf pan by pouring about 2 tablespoons of tahini in the bottom and with a pastry brush or paper towel, spread along bottom and sides until fully coated.*
- Pour your batter into prepared loaf and top with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes until top is golden brown and tester inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then remove from pan and allow to fully cool.
- Store on counter for up to 5 days or freeze for later use.*
- Dates are optional but a great addition for some natural sweetness. You may add chocolate chips or nuts in place if desired.
- You may simply coat your loaf pan with butter or shortening then dust with flour if you don’t want to use tahini as your non-stick agent.
- Store bread covered at room temperature for 4-5 days. You may also freeze the entire loaf or individual slices. Wrap with plastic wrap then with foil and store in freezer for up to 3 months. Remove slice or loaf and allow to come to room temperature. Best when toasted for best flavor.
Keywords: tahini banana bread, tahini banana bread recipe, authentic tahini banana bread recipe, lebanese tahini, tahini and banana bread, healthy tahini banana bread, tahini banana bread with dates, cosette's kitchen tahini banana bread, the best banana bread, the best tahini banana bread, toasted sesame seeds, tahini as nonstick coating, quick bread, easy breakfast, one bowl baking