It’s always pear season, but end of summer into fall is the best time to enjoy delicious pears. This simple galette recipe is probably the easiest way to pack the flavor of sweet pear, buttery crust and fall spices.
I would choose making and eating a galette any day over a pie. Rustic, easy to prepare and fool-proof. The crispy sugar coated crust and thin layer of fruit ensures no soggy bottom and being able to enjoy every perfect bite of fruity goodness.
When you have such a simple recipe with minimal ingredients, choose the BEST ingredients! High quality butter, fresh pears and quality spices to make your dessert shine. I hope you enjoy this simple recipe at your next dinner.
I always love seeing your creations, be sure to tag me if you make this dessert on Instagram or Facebook.
- 1 basic pie dough recipe, I like using Marie Saba’s all butter pie crust (store bought is fine too)
- 2 Tbsp semolina (can sub almond flour)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3–4 slightly firm pears
- 3 Tbsp raw sugar, divided
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp apricot jam + splash of water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Sprinkle a sheet of parchment paper with flour and roll out your pie dough into a round/oval shape about 1/8″ thick. You don’t want your pie dough to be paper thin where it will seep but also not very thick.
- Place parchment paper on a heavy sheet pan.
- Once your dough is rolled out into your desired round or oval shape, mix your semolina and granulated sugar together and sprinkle on your dough, leaving about an inch border to fold over.
- Slice your pears in half, remove pits/core then make thin slices that will give you a fan when place upon your galette.
- Place your “fan” of pears in different directions on top of your semolina mixture. Tuck each “fan” in and layer until your area is covered.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of your raw sugar and cardamom together and sprinkle on pears.
- Fold over your edge to enclose your pears and seal everything in.
- With your last tablespoon of raw sugar, sprinkle the crust.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until crust and pears are browned.
- Remove from oven and mix apricot jam with your water and brush over warm pears. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Keywords: galette, thanksgiving, pears, dessert, pie, butter, crust