As I sit here watching The Great British Baking Show I'm reminded of several things:
- One is significantly cooler with a British accent (why don't have I have a British accent??? I suppose I'm not that cool. )
- How are the judges on the show not 300 pounds? Have you seen how many desserts they eat??
- This show is really very zen, I can watch it on repeat and be lulled to sleep. (I'm almost asleep writing this.)
- It's almost Christmas which means I can watch Love Actually on repeat (Best movie EVER!!!)
- I really don't know a whole know a lot about British desserts.
- I am no where near brave enough to be on a competitive cooking show!
But I digress, the reason I'm talking about British baking is because scones, yes, scones! The perfect British afternoon tea snack. The thing about scones is that they are not overly sweet and so perfectly delicate. They really are a perfect accompaniment with tea or your morning coffee (as we like to do here in the good old United States!) There are so many variations of scones: sweet, savory, butter, cream, fresh fruit, dried fruit, the possibilities are really endless.
As we are fully immersed into autumn, fall flavors are running rampant on Instagram: pumpkin, apple, squash, caramel, cinnamon. But there is one underdog, the under represented flavor: pear. Apple tends to be the star of fall, which don't get me wrong, I LOVE APPLE! But I also love pear and pear treats are equally delicious. So I wanted to bring this special, beautiful fruit into the light and my first is with these delicious scones.
I present to you, Almond Pear Cardamom Scones. Cardamom because well, cinnamon is clearly already paired with apple. I think the cardamom is such a sultry spice that lends itself so well in baked goods, especially with pears. And I love almonds in just about everything. One of my favorite ways to make scones is by using heavy cream versus butter. The heavy cream serves the same purpose as butter and doesn't require any cutting or grating into your flour, just pour and mix! These are a perfect Thanksgiving breakfast treat as well, check out my tip below about preparing ahead. I hope you enjoy, as always, I love to see your creations, tag me on Instagram @CosettesKitchen or post on my Facebook Page.