Every year about this time, myself and probably the majority of parents get completely overwhelmed! September! The time when school begins, activities resume, every school event from Open House to picture day is scheduled.
One of the most important, but probably the last things on our mind is making dinner. Necessary yes, but also often dreaded. I'm so happy to have partnered with my local New Seasons Market again this month to share a simple, elegant and versatile recipe for everyday roasted chicken, using bone-in Air Chilled Smart Chicken breasts and thighs.
Chicken is such a blank canvas and truly is the perfect easy weeknight meal. But beyond that it also gives you options for lunches throughout the week. This recipe is a two-in-one! Gorgeous roasted chicken for a quick and easy dinner and simple chicken salad to pack up in lunches the next day or another dinner option.
Chicken has always been and will always be a staple in our home. Sunday suppers growing up would generally consist of chicken and toum (an emulsified garlic sauce) that is beyond addictive and the perfect accompaniment to any roasted chicken. Add in a quick side salad and some potatoes, like these Lebanese Street Fries and you have the most comforting meal ever. Something that can easily be made on a weeknight with a few simple steps.
Probably the best part of roasting chicken, is the leftovers. I almost always roast more than we'll need for the night just so I have leftovers to top salads, snack on or to make some incredible chicken salad. Pack it up for quick lunches on bakery fresh focaccia bread from New Seasons Market or some crunchy crackers. It could even be another dinner option, whatever works for your family.
I hope you enjoy this special two-in-one recipe and it makes your weeknight meals a little bit easier. Simple, fresh ingredients create such amazing meals.
As always, I love seeing your creations. Be sure to leave a comment if you tried this meal and tag me and New Seasons on social media.
Simple roasted chicken, use leftovers to make this delicious chicken salad.
- 5-6lbs assorted bone-in breasts and thighs (combination of both)
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp all spice
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp sumac
- Olive Oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded/diced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup pickles, diced
- ⅓ cup celery, diced
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- small bunch of chives, chopped
- Turn your oven to high broil with rack on the 2nd level from the top.
- Combine all your spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Prepare your chicken by trimming any excess skin using sharp knife or kitchen shears.
- Dry chicken using a paper towel then begin rubbing the spice mixture all over the chicken. Be sure to season the meat, the skin and under the skin.
- Arrange pieces in a large round sheetpan or tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place chicken in oven on broil high and let the skin crisp for a few minutes, watching to ensure it doesn't burn. Rotate pan in the oven for even browning.
- Once browned, turn oven to 400 degrees and bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Internal temperature for chicken should read 165 degrees and fluids should run clean when cut.
- Do a final broil on skin if it needs any additional crisping then remove from oven and enjoy!
- Remove cooled chicken from bones.
- Chop 2 cups cooked chicken and add to bowl.
- Combine mayo, pickles, celery, salt, pepper and chives and mix until combined.
- Season with any additional salt and pepper and enjoy!
**You can prepare chicken the night before with spices and pop into fridge, bake when you get home the next day.
**If you don't have time to roast a chicken, pick up a prepared chicken from your local New Seasons Market, enjoy and make some chicken salad with it!
Keywords: chicken, chicken salad, weeknight meal, easy, roasted chicken, dinner