Perfect cookies with a hint of olive oil and flake salt.
Recipe adapted from California Olive Ranch
- 1 cup brown sugar (I prefer dark but light will work great too)
- 1/2 cup good olive oil such as Durant Arbequina Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp all-spice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups chocolate chunks + extra for tops
- flake salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine your brown sugar, olive oil, sugar, butter and vanilla. Mix on medium high for 3-4 minutes until light and creamy in texture.
- Add your eggs and beat again for 1 minutes.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients into your wet with mixer on low speed.
- Finally add your chocolate chunks until combined and cohesive dough forms.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop cookie dough onto prepared sheetpan. 8 cookies to a sheet (3 on either side and 2 in the center). Add a few extra chocolate chunks on top of each cookie
- Bake one sheet at a time for best results in upper middle rack for 14-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with flake salt.
- Let cool and enjoy, continue baking the remaining batter one sheet at a time.
**If dough seems a little crumbly, using clean hands to press together to form
**Cookie dough can be frozen and baked at a later time. Scoop onto sheets, freeze flat until solid then pop into ziplock bag when frozen. Bake at same temperature directly from freezer, may take an extra few minutes.
**If you don’t have spelt flour, sub additional all purpose.
Keywords: cookies, olive oil, baking, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate, cookie, dessert